I only truly hate shows that I once truly loved. Don't care if the latest Next Gen movie sucked because despite years of dutiful watching, I have never been in love with the TNG franchise. DS9, on the other hand, I adored passionately the first two seasons, hated almost as passionately for the next two, and fell slowly back in love with as it arced into the finale to such an extent that the mere mention of that show can now bring a smile to my face. Voyager, and Kathryn Janeway in particular, I once loved so much that now I can no longer watch reruns or read fan fiction or do anything that reminds me overmuch of the show I once thought it was, rather than what it turned into.
I am going to miss Dawson next year, and am a bit ashamed of that, but not enough not to say it right here in front of everybody. I know why lots of people can't stand it; I know why its ratings have been on a steady slip. Doesn't change the fact that when the opening credits roll and I see the sun setting over Capeside (IOW the Outer Banks), I hear Beth Nielsen Chapman and Mary Beth and Colin Hay start playing in my head and feel powerful nostalgia for Joey rowing her canoe up the creek. I have always loved the female characters on that show -- not in spite of their powerful need to be in relationships, but because of it. These aren't girls who've been taught like Janeway (or maybe I mean like Kate Mulgrew) that a woman can only prove her worth by proving that she can be totally alone and isolated. They've been taught that they can be whatever the hell they want to be...and they can also have affairs and make mistakes and not be afraid to feel. I just love Joey and Jen.
Here is a very depressing editorial on Israel from the New York Times describing in a nutshell how Arafat and Sharon feed off each other's intransigence and depend on one another's prejudices to maintain their own power bases...and how much it looks like there's no solution in sight in the next several generations. It makes me think of Northern Ireland redux, only with a lot more civilian deaths.
Now here's a surprising one:
You're Xander. What this says about you: You tend to believe that you're only here to make everyone else look good by tearing yourself apart. You're constantly part of the background, which is where you like to be. Everyone can depend on you, but you're not always sure they can. You have a hard time telling your feelings to others and tend to act on your emotions in violent outbursts or blaming someone else for your mistakes. Take responsibility by the horns sometime, you'll be surprised at how easily you can handle it.
Which BtVS Character Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla
Gacked from ladymoonray:
01. What time do you wake up in the morning? As close to 8 a.m. as possible (on the late side whenever I can)
02. If you could eat lunch with one famous person, who would it be? Anjelica Huston
03. Gold or silver? Silver
04. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Chicago
05. Favorite tv show(s)? I'm assuming this means currently...Smallville, The Dead Zone
06. What do you have for breakfast? Cracklin' Oat Bran
07. Who would you hate to be left in a room with? A relative who shall remain nameless
08. Can you touch your nose with your tongue? No
09. What inspires you? Spiritual experiences, passion, wit, intelligence, affection
10. What is your middle name? Erica
11. Beach, city, or country? Beach
12. Summer or winter? Summer
13. Favorite ice cream? Mint chip
14. Buttered, plain, or salted popcorn? Smartfood or cheesy equivalent
15. Favorite color? Green
16. Favorite car? Anything fuel efficient that I can fit everything into
17. Favorite sandwich filling? Turkey sausage
18. True love? Hell yes
19. What characteristics do you despise? Obnoxiousness, insensitivity, arrogance
20. Favorite flower? Roses
21. If you had a big win in the lottery, how long would you wait to tell people? I wouldn't tell many people
22. Fizzy or still water as a drink? Still and not too cold
23. What color is your bathroom? Yellow and white
24. How many keys on your key ring? Mine, my parents' house, my van, sometimes my husband's car
25. Where would you retire to if it could be anywhere? Beachfront someplace not too hot, not too cold, not too far from major metropolitan center but uncrowded
26. Favorite day of the week? Saturday
27. Red or white wine? Merlot
28. What did you do for your last birthday? Went to NYC on the weekend to see the Victorian Nude exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum
29. Do you carry a donor card? It's right on my driver's license
If anyone wants it, my Jeff Combs interview at TrekWeb. And I got this from Arriana's Tarot list...it's Viggo day! Devil Card: Today is a day of trouble! The Devil brings complications, restrictions and obsessive actions. Be wary of new people with offers that sound too good to be true, as it is! This card warns of being tied down by duty and responsibilities, do hesitate on taking new duties today as these will bring troubles to you, taking away your free time for very little reward. The Devil is not a good influence on life, others who can come into your life under this guise will bring conflicts. Be wary today of committing to anything!